Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sadness and Disbelief


I can't believe that I HAD 14 caterpillars and now I have none!! I resisted the urge to bring them inside and a praying mantis ended up eating them all. This must be why butterflies have to lay so many eggs. I am really sad but know that this is how nature works. If all creatures lived our Earth would be overrun by them. I think that the caterpillars that are born early in the summer have the best chance at survival because the predator numbers are fewer. I'm going to go out and find a caterpillar to keep in my cage so I can end my summer on a happy note.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What a bummer Nancy! Maybe the praying mantis will make an egg sack and you can watch them hatch. :)

Nancy Dain-Cooper said...

I did last spring. There was what I thought was a cocoon in between my window and screen. One day I looked at it and hundreds of little praying mantis came out. There is another sack on the side of my house right now.